Friday, December 2, 2016

Leucistic Canada Goose


  I have seen this goose multiple times (I posted the story about a year ago). I think that this goose hangs out with a flock that lives near my house. From a scientific point of view, you can use this as a way to track and learn about a goose flock that lives where you live. From what I have observed, this goose interacts normally with the other geese in it's flock. There does not seem to be any rejection of it by the other birds.  I would call this goose leucistic, and not albino, because it has some color, and its eyes are not pink. When some thing is albino it has NO pigment in its feathers/skin. This bird is leucistic because there is some color in its feathers.

Leucistic- The partial lose of pigment that results in pale to white color in the feathers.



No comments:

Post a Comment